Good point of depart for Yelmer and Michael Bartels
The results of the qualification session at the Donington Park circuit looks good for Yelmer and Michael Bartels. The title contenders will start today’s qualifying race from seventh place where as the main rivals Marc Basseng and Marcus Winkelhock could not do better than Q2 and tenth on the grid. Yelmer was again one of the fastest drivers.
After Yelmer had clocked the fastest time in free practice the Vita4One team went into conclave. The decision was to change the drivers sequence in order to get the fast Yelmer in Q2 while Michael Bartels should finish the job in Q3. With only 12 cars everyone was assured of stepping up into Q2 from Q1. Yelmer clocked the fastest lap in Q2 but even more important was that Marcus Winkelhock made a mess of his session. In his first fast lap he spun the Mercedes and in a final attempt to qualify for Q3 he spun even twice and subsequently finished tenth.
The fastest eight went into Q3 in which Michael Bartels unfortunately stranded in seventh place. With his time from Q2 Yelmer would have easily qualified on the front row (2nd fastest time) of today’s first race.
1. Carrol/Vanthoor - Audi R8 1 min. 27.646
2. Makowiecki/Dusseldorp - McLaren MP4 at 0.124
3. Kox/Rosina - Lamborghini Gallardo at 0.224
4. Salaquarda/Cioci - Ferrari 458 at 0.580
5. Pastorelli/Jäger - Mercedes SLS at 0.612
6. Mayr-Meinhof/Lauda - BMW Z4 at 0.760
7. Buurman/Bartels - BMW Z4 at 0.783
8. Ide/Castellacci - Ferrari 485 at 0.983
9. Stippler/Jarvis - Audi R8
10. Basseng/Winkelhock - Mercedes SLS
11. Demoustier/Parente - McLaren MP4
12. Lariche/Groppi - Ford GT